- Globes are round, and you can spin them.
- Maps have a key that tells us what the symbols on the map mean.
- You can zoom in or out of maps on computers and tablets.
- The color green on a map often means land.
- Maps show oceans and continents.
- Bumps on globes show where mountains are.
- The stars on maps show where the capitals are.
- The color white on maps often means snow or ice.
- Some maps show states, towns and roads.
- Different colors on maps mean different things.
- Maps show lots of places such as China, South Korea, Colombia, Canada and Mexico.
- You can see islands on maps and globes; they are land surrounded by water on all sides.
Pairs of students examined paper maps, online maps and globes to see what features they noticed. They then presented their findings to the class. Students shared the following: